April 2nd. Wear blue. Change a light bulb. Give money. Raise money at a walk for an organization that doesn’t give a rat’s behind about Autistics. Go you!
Seriously. If I ask 100 people if they know the word “Autism,” 99 will say yes. There’s your awareness. I ask the same 100 people what Autism “is” and 30 of them will know. Ask them if they know someone with Autism and 10 will raise their hands.
Therein lies the problem. You are aware of Autism. Cool. Now what? You know the name of a neurological condition. Good on you.
Now, try something new. You are reading my blog, so you sort of know someone with Autism. Feel free to post a comment or ask me a question. Too much? Try some of the following from Giraffe Party:
Here’s a load of resources for you…
– What is autism? http://autisticadvocacy.org/about-autism/
– Why we don’t support Autism Speaks: http://autisticadvocacy.org/…/2013-joint-letter-to-the-spo…/
– Boycott Autism Speaks: http://www.boycottautismspeaks.com/
– Why you shouldn’t “Light It Up Blue” this month: http://thefamilyvoyage.blogspot.com/…/please-dont-light-up-…
– Instead, let’s Tone It Down Taupe! http://timetolisten.blogspot.com/…/tone-it-down-taupe-this-…
– What good is autism awareness? https://ollibean.com/…/…/01/good-autism-awareness-do-doesnt/
– Acceptance Not Awareness: http://imapartygiraffe.com/on-autism-awareness-month/